Must and can't

A. Study this example:

Must and can't
 You can use must to say that you believe something is certain:
  • You’ve been travelling all day. You must be tired. (Travelling is tiring and you’ve been travelling alt day, so you must be tired.) 
  •  ‘Joe is a hard worker.’ ‘Joe? You must be joking. He doesn’t do anything.’
  •  Louise must get very bored in her job. She does the same thing every day.
  •  I’m sure Sally gave me her address. I must have it somewhere.
You can use can’t to say that you believe something is not possible:
  • You’ve just had lunch. You can’t be hungry already. (People are not normally hungry just after eating a meal. You’ve just eaten, so you can’t be hungry.) 
  •  They haven’t lived here for very long. They can’t know many people.
Study the structure:
Must and can't

B.  For the past we use must have (done) and can't have (done).
  •  ‘We used to Live very near the motorway.’ 'Did you? It must have been noisy.’ 
  •  ‘I’ve lost one of my gloves.’ 'You must have dropped it somewhere.’
  •  Sarah hasn’t contacted me. She can’t have got my message.
  •  Tom walked into a waLl. He can’t have been looking where he was going. 
Study the structure:

must have (done) and can't have (done)


You can use couldn’t have instead of can’t have:
  • Sarah couldn’t have got my message. 
  •  Tom couldn’t have been looking where he was going.

Comments

Popular Posts