Verb + -ing or to ... 2 ( try/need/help )

A. Try to ... and try -ing
Try to do = attempt to do, make an effort to do:
- I was very tired.  I tried to keep my eyes open, but I couldn't.
- Please try to be quiet when you come home.  Everyone will be asleep.

Try also means 'do something as an experiment or test'.  For example:
-  These cakes are delicious. You should try one.
(= you should have one to see if you like it)
-  We couldn't find anywhere to stay.  We tried every hotel in the town, but they were all full.
(= we went to every hotel to see if they had a room )


If try (with this meaning) is followed by a verb, we say try -ing:
A:  The photocopier doesn't seem to be working.
B:  Try pressing the green button.
(= press the green button-perhaps this will help to solve the problem)

Compare:
- I tried to move the table, but it was too heavy.  (so I couldn't move it)
- I didn't like the way the furniture was arranged, so I tried moving the table to the other side of the room.  But it didn't look right, so I moved it back again.


B. Need to ... and need -ing
I need to do something = it is necessary for me to do it:
-  I need to get more exercise.
-  He needs to work harder if he wants to make progress.
-  I don't need to come to the meeting, do I?

Something needs doing = it needs to be done:
-  My phone needs charging.
(= it needs to be charged)
-  Do you think this jacket needs cleaning?
(= ... needs to be cleaned)
- lt's a difficult problem.  lt needs thinking about very carefully.
(= it needs to be thought about)


C. Help and can't help
You can say help to do or help do (with or without to):
-  Everybody helped to clean up after the party.  or
Everybody helped clean up ...
- Can you help me to move this table?  or
Can you help me move ...

I can't help doing something = I can't stop myself doing it:
-  I don't like him, but he has a lot of problems. I can't help
feeling
sorry for him.
-  She tried to be serious, but she couldn't help laughing.
(= she couldn't stop herself laughing)
- I'm sorry I'm so nervous.  I can't help it.
(= I can't help being nervous)

Comments

Popular Posts