Clothing Idioms


Clothing Idioms

Idiom
Meaning
Example Sentence
at the drop of a hat
without needing any advance notice
My Grandma will babysit for anyone at the drop of a hat.
(have a) bee in one's bonnet
something that is annoying someone
Milan has had a bee in his bonnet all day, but he won't tell me what's wrong.
below the belt
beyond what is fair or socially acceptable
His comment about Manfred's handicap was below the belt.
bursting at the seams
not fitting anymore
I ate too much. I'm bursting at the seams in these jeans.
caught with one's pants down
unprepared
My students caught me with my pants down on Monday. I forgot about the field trip.
(have a) card up one's sleeve
have a secret or reserve plan
I think Josh has a card up his sleeve cause he wants me to wear a dress to the fast-food restaurant.
buckle down
work extra hard
It's almost exam time, so I need to buckle down this weekend.
burn a hole in one's pocket
money that one is tempted to spend
Let's go to the mall after school. There's a hundred dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket.
dress to kill, dress to the nines
dress in nice or sexy clothes
My cousin was dressed to kill on her birthday.
fit like a glove
fit perfectly (tight to one's body)
Anita's prom dress fits me like a glove.
fine-tooth comb
in great detail, extremely carefully
The police looked for fingerprints with a fine-tooth comb.
fly by the seat of one's pants
do by instinct, not by plan
I had never taught art to kids before. I had to fly by the seat of my pants.
handle with kid gloves
treat delicately
Please handle my grandmother's tea set with kid gloves.
Searches related to clothing idioms :
idioms related to fashion
idioms about clothes and appearance
dress like an idiom
clothes phrases
stylish idioms
idiom clothing brand
clothes idioms worksheet
style idioms

Comments

Popular Posts