PRESENT CONTINUOUS (I AM DOING)

A. Study this example situtation:

Sophia is in her car. She is on her way to work.
She is driving to work.

This means: she is driving now, at the time of speaking. The action is not finished.
Am/she/it is ~ing is the present continuous:

I am(= I'm) driving he/she/it is (he's etc.) working
we/you/they are (we're etc.) doing etc.

B. I am doing something = I'm in the middle of doing something; I've started doing it and I haven't finished yet.

Often teh action is happening at the time of speaking.
* Please don't make so much noise. I'm working. (not 'I work')
* 'Where's Olivia?' She's having a bath. (not 'she has a bath')
* Let's go out now. It isn't raining any more. (not 'it doesn't rain')
* (at a party) Hello, Fania. Are you enjoying the party? (not'do you enjoy')
* I'm tired. I'm going to bed now. Goodnight!

C. We use the present continuous when we talk about things happening in a period around now (for example, today/this week/this evening etc.):

* 'Your're working hard today.' 'Tes, I have a lot to do.' (not 'you work hard today')
* 'Is Fania working this week?' 'No, she's on holiday.'

We use the present continuous when we talk about changes happening around now:
*The population of the world is rising very fast. (not 'rises')
*Is your English getting better? (not 'does your English get better')

Comments

Popular Posts